Friday, July 31, 2009

First Time Experiences

Solar Eclipse 2009-
Being a science dork, this was quite fun to witness. Albeit to the average person, you could say that the sky was a little dimmer and that was about it. Frankly, it was one of the best (meaning longest) total solar eclipses during our time. The fact that I was actually in the area to see a partial is pretty cool in my book. A simple way we did it in the office was to cut a circular hole in the paper and project onto the floor.


Durian Tasting-



My next door dorm neighbor Alex decided to purchase some shelled/peeled durian from the local supermarket. While I was peacefully sitting on my bed with my laptop, I heard a knock on my door. Opened the door and saw Alex and David with cups of durian. I promptly slammed the door shut before the scent wafted into the room. According to the Wikipedia entry of durian and from personal experience, yes it does smell like rotten eggs and stinky trash and poop all in one.
I reluctantly ventured out as they coaxed me to join them and try durian. Alex had already tasted it before, but David and I were durian virgins. You can usually find my brother and me running out of the house if my parents ever brought one home.


I frankly enjoyed my durian. The first bite was the worst. The smell was overpowering and just managing to put the spoon in my mouth and then swallow was painful. However, after that, it was fine. Durian has a sweet, cloying taste, almost too sweet. It's fleshy and has a rich flavor. Quite indescribable as I'm sure many durian eaters explain. I am now oddly intrigued by durian, going back for more. I recently even had durian gelato in Macau. My friend David on the other hand had a different experience. Sadly, the video won't post here... Hopefully I'll figure that one out.

1 comment:

  1. Once I took a durian to my department meeting, setting half of the people running out of the room! However, whoever tasted it actually liked it.

    ReplyDelete