Thursday, June 18, 2009

First Few Impressions

Ah! I have landed. Swine flu has made it utterly impossible to go anywhere without eliciting glares from the local people whenever I sniffle due to the left over runny nose from my cold. I first scared the two Asian ladies I was sitting next to on the plane to put their masks on, and probably succeeding in scaring them further by watching Y Tu Mama Tambien. Then, I was semi-quarantined and had my temperature taken at the airport but was gratefully released after ten minutes.
View of the islands from the plane.


Upon arrival, this place is Hawaii humiditiy with New York urbanization but much more clean and efficient. Luckily, my high school friend Artesha is around all of June to help me acclimate to the city. After a jet-lagged sleep, we spent the next day touring most of Causeway Bay where she lived, at the at Hong Kong Jockey Club for lunch, and tried out the arcade with some games and, of course, STICKER PHOTOS!My friend Artesha at the arcade.

As we were walking around a few malls, Artesha explained that customer service is valued, which was evident when everyone thanked us for merely entering the store, even if we hadn't purchased anything.

Next, I left to go to the Columbia Alumni Mentor event at Philia Lounge where all the interns were able to meet their mentor. We then proceeded to walk around to a jazz club, which was full, then to an African lounge where they were playing live covers of Bob Marley. Who knew they had this in Hong Kong?
Fellow intern Yipeng and I at the African lounge.

Overall, I am stunned by how there is no tipping and still superior service compared to America and by the efficiency of the city.

5 comments:

  1. asians love their masks. when we flew to japan, older japanese man sitting in between my groupmate and me. i sneezed while putting my bag under my seat, and by the time i looked up, the man had silently masked up, and kept it on the whole flight except for meal times.

    by efficiency, you mean like public transport and stuff?

    -saad

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome to the blogosphereee. don't read david's, he tends to write a lot about weird things (just kidding)

    www.nishilalkumar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. um... the about you is funny. i feel like youre advertising yourself. that and it makes me feel bad about myself lol. and uh, what's CU informs? is that the financial shit thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy shit it knew my name... creepy

    ReplyDelete